Coding and Lyric Display
Well, it’s that time of year again. I’ve started a little coding project, this time to do with Lyric Display. In Java. *sigh* Why do I do this to myself?!
To be fair, I started it last year – I’ve just picked it up again and refactored it a fair bit. I checked my Google Code repository, and according to the Subversion logs I first started on the project in October 2010. The interesting thing is, I’ve started a new project every single October for about the past four years (since I’ve had my Google Code repository):
- 2009: jMonopoly – a short-lived Java version of a Monopoly game.
- 2010: This short-lived lyric display project…
Spot a bit of a pattern going on there? I tend to work on them for a few weeks and then give up. (Probably getting into the Christmas rush at that time, also losing interest…)
Interspersed with all these things is a Java desktop app I wrote to upload sermons to the Fordham website (a script I blogged about when it was merely a Python script) – although to be fair I only imported that to Subversion in the summer so I don’t know exactly when that was started.
I don’t know what it is about this time of year which drives me to the keyboard… I wonder whether (in the past) it’s been to do with the post-summer slump at work, or something like that. I think this year it was more because the chapel computer at Oak Hill broke down and we currently have no lyric projection software, which made me think of what I’d done last year. If it gets anywhere I might release it as Open Source, because there aren’t enough open source lyric projection packages knocking around already… (to be fair, I don’t think there are any in Java).
Anyway, I thought this might give you an insight into my mind. Or not. Either way, I’m not sure I like it, and I’m not sure I really want to post it on my blog… *clicks ‘Publish’*